And the magic begins........



     By- Leo Dinendri Wilegoda Arachchi

On the 11th of August 2019 a bright and sunny day, calm and beautiful weather, and yet it was absolute panic, nerves, and a lot of excitement not just in my home but in many.

As I got dressed for the big day ahead, the calm and quite creeped in reminding me of the journey we are to embark, a journey many of us were gladly and excitedly looking forward to.  Arriving quite early at the Leo Youth Center seeing the smiling faces of the fellow club members as the entire hall was prepped and ready to go the eye-catching banner displayed on the head table said it all. "19th Installation Ceremony", it was, in fact, the 19th for the legacy of Leo Club of Polgasowita basking in its absolute glory.

Being home to generations of young leaders who made it a point to change the society and support the community, young leaders who set examples to many following their footsteps and even 19 years later the pride and the strength can be seen shining bright as ever.


At 10 am the guests arrived along with many familiar faces of visiting Leos, and minute by minute the butterflies in my stomach and the realization that it was up to me to be in charge of and carry the legacy for this upcoming leoistic year became so very real. As every moment passed by the event running so smoothly, I could reminisce the past few days of commitment by the new set of Leos working day and night to make sure that this event ran this well. It was a first for us all, it was new for us to be planning an installation; the sweat, the hours and all the hard work was feeling finally paid off. The laughs the packets of kottumee being made in the kitchen and the pranks played on each other and the bonding process whilst planning this, was truly a memory to never be forgotten.


And then came the time for the upcoming president's speech, I walked myself to the podium with the tiny piece of paper with the notes of all I had planned to say. I was and am all so happy to be given this opportunity and was truly looking forward to this whole new experience knowing that I had much to learn along the way. The pressure of doing well and being strong for it was the club of the District President was vividly clear, we had a big role to play and we definitely have to support our brother. I had a fear of not being able to reach as much as I wanted to, I knew that I could rely on my team and that non of them would ever let me down because afterall we are ONE BIG FAMILY.




Leo Dinendri Wilegoda Arachchi
President
Leo Club of Polgasowita

Comments

Popular Posts

Generations- A day for kids and the elders.

The voice of a street dog.

ONE VOTE = ONE PLANT

Lets Roar for "Mini Roars" - A club fundraiser

කසලින් නොසගවන් පෙරහැරක අභිමන්

Lions Tree Planting Program